Minimum requirements

To be eligible, you must meet all the minimum requirements for:

  • skilled work experience
  • language ability
  • education If you meet all the minimum requirements, we’ll assess your application based on additional selection factors.
Skilled work experience

Skilled work experience means that you’ve worked in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER categories:

  • TEER 0
  • TEER 1
  • TEER 2
  • TEER 3

You must show that while working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must
  • be in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • have been obtained within the last 10 years, in Canada or abroad
  • be paid work (you must have been paid wages or earned commission—volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count)
  • be at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)
  • You can meet this in a few different ways:
  • full time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • equal amount in part-time work: for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement.
  • full time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time
    (1,560 hours)
Part-time work experience
  • Your skilled work experience must be paid work including paid wages or earned commission. We don’t
    count volunteer work or unpaid internships.
  • For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.
    You can work more than 1 part-time job to get the hours you need to apply.
  • Canada will not count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.
Student work experience

Work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:

  • was paid by wages or commissions
  • was continuous (no gaps in employment), and
  • meets all the other requirements of the Program
Language ability

You must

  • take approved language tests in English or French for
      • writing
      • reading
      • listening
      • speaking
  • meet the minimum score required in all 4 abilities
  • enter the test results in your Express Entry profile

Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.


If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian

  • secondary institution (high school) or
  • post-secondary institution

If you have foreign education, you must have

      • a completed educational credential and
      • an Educational Credential Assessment for immigration purposes that
        • is from a designated organization and
        • shows your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution (high school) or post secondary institution
Selection factors

If you meet all the minimum requirements, we’ll assess your eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program based on:

  • age
  • education
  • work experience
  • whether you have a valid job offer
  • English or French language skills
  • adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)

Based on how well you do in each of the 6 factors, we’ll assign you an overall score out of 100. The current pass mark is 67 points

Talk to us and start the eligibility checking process right away. Canada is not that far away after all.

Add Your Comment